Yes, today was most certainly an arms day; with everything from the shoulders down to the fingertips getting a go. More on the pinch-gripping in a moment.
First the routine :
- Quick ab workout – crunches and pikes, supersetted, 4 x 50
- Overhead shrugs 20/10/10 (light weight – need to get some more small plates for the dumbells)
- Lateral raise 9/5/3 (left shoulder not having a good time)
- Shoulder press 7/7/4 (left shoulder not enjoying this one either)
- Standing triceps kickback 10/10/10
- Preacher curls (using olympic barbell, to increase balance difficulty) 10/10/9
- Hammer curls 10/10/8
- Wrist curls using custom roller 5/5/5
I also did a bit of pinch grip work, primarily to get an idea of weights. I can get my hand around a 2.5kg plate, so I decided to try hanging additonal weights from that one until I can hold a 20kg plate by pinching the centre ring.
wrist roller” align=”right” width=”140″ height=”63″ class=”rightpic” />Whilst in the hardware store today grabbing the chain/bolts for that, I picked up a pick-axe handle, another length of chain and some more nuts/bolts. I knocked up a quick wrist roller from these, which allows me to hang weight plates from the end of the chain and roll the handle like a newspaper until the plates are at the top; then slowly wind it back down again. The length and shape of the handle allow me to work my wrists at different angles, as well as varying the size of the grip.
As I used the same weight for a lot of this session (due to the aforementioned lack of small plates), it was a reasonably quick one : 58 mins.