Straight to the Bar Writers
This site – Straight to the Bar – has been around for an incredible 17 years (the first post was on Jan 17th, 2004), and to say I’m grateful is a gross understatement.
Below are several of our articles, to give you an idea of the topics we explore. And the various authors who’ve helped make this possible. Thank you.
NB : If you’d like to write a guest post for Straight to the Bar, drop us a line.
And now for the articles themselves. Once again, thankyou.
Ready to build your own? It's a great way to try new forms of training.
- DIY Gym Gear : How to Make Your Own Clubs - Scott Bird
Build your own. Good fun.
- Making your own gym equipment : DIY grip tools - Scott Bird
You want a grip tool that does what? Make one.
- How to Build Your Own Sandbag - Derek 'Body By D-Rock' Peruo
It's easier than you may think.
- DIY: Home-made Gym Equipment (part II) - Scott Bird
Build it yourself.
- DIY: How to Build an Olympic Weightlifting Platform - Kat Ricker
- DIY Hanging Handles, psuedo "rings" - Kat 'The Mighty Kat' Ricker
- The Sled - Kira Robert Clarke (Fight Geek)
- How to make your own bumper plates on a budget - Mehdi Hadim (Stronglifts)
Quick, simple and inexpensive.
- How to Make a Rack-Mounted Wrist Roller - Rory Hickman (Stronger Designs)
Love your wrist work? Same here.
- How To Make an Adjustable Slosh Pipe - Joe Hashey
Light weights, nice and challenging.
- Fattening Up the Chin-up Bar - Scott Bird
A great way to thicken up any bar at all.
- The Fat Bar - Max Shank
Incredibly simple, incredibly brutal.
- Let the voting begin - Scott Bird
There were some brilliant entries in the DIY Equipment Competition.
Old-Time Strongman Techniques
Fantastic to watch, learn and do.
- Bare-Handed Nail Driving Basics - Ryan Pitts (StrongerGrip)s
Want to learn how to drive a nail through a board with your bare hand? Here's how.
- Blast from the Past : The Forgotten Lifts (part II, III)
Although these lifts aren't often seen in commercial gyms, they're absolutely superb. Give them a run.
- Tearing A License Plate - Strongman Chris 'Haircules' Rider
Yep, that's as hard as it sounds. Superb.
- Unusual Goals Require Unusual Measures - Jeff Wilson (Basic Instinct Fitness)
How do you train for something like this?
- The Human Rack Lift - Mike 'The Machine' Bruce
You've got to see this.
- Jaw Lifting : What, Why and How - Ryan Pitts (StrongerGrip)
Training, technique and just a dash of determination.
- Pleasure Spiked with Pain : Training for the One Finger Lift - Jeff Wilson
A superb feat - if a little painful.
- Building A Neck Of Steel - Mike 'The Machine' Bruce
So you want a strong neck? It's actually quite simple.
Hands, Wrists & Forearms
This is where the fun (and real strength) begins. Love it.
- Nails : Converting imperial to metric - Scott Bird
Next time you pop down to the hardware store, take this.
- Why Bend Steel? - 'Unbreakable' Adam Glass
Simple question, great answer. Point your non-bending friends here.
- Straight to the Grip Contest (part II, III, IV, V and VI) - 'Napalm' Jedd Johnson (Diesel Crew) Getting ready for your first grip contest? Here's what to expect.
- The Many Types of Blobs - 'Napalm' Jedd Johnson (Diesel Crew)
What's a Blob, and where did it all begin?
- Lifting the Inch Replica Dumbbell (part II, III, IV and V) - 'Napalm' Jedd Johnson (Diesel Crew)n Want to train with a replica Inch? Here's how.
- Shot Tossing for Dynamic Grip Strength - 'Napalm' Jedd Johnson (Diesel Crew)
Shot tossing? Great fun.
- Hammering Strength into the Wrists (part II)
- Leverage Lifts: Reverse Engineering Turned To A Breakthrough In Power - 'Unbreakable' Adam Glass
These lifts are downright fun.
The 'normal' things you'll see in the gym.
- The Step-up : a Real Squat Alternative? - Scott Bird
Squats are undoubtedly key, but have you tried heavy step-ups lately?
- Holding the bar in the Front Squat - Scott Bird
There are many ways to hold the bar.
- Bars, Plates, Hooks and Collars - Scott Bird
Ready to hit the garage sales? Here's what to look for.
- A Little Yoke Work : 10 Exercises for a Bigger Neck - Scott Bird
Traps maketh the man.
- Buyers' guide : the Power Rack - Scott Bird
Ready to buy a rack? Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Addressing Weaknesses in The Squat - Rick Walker
Work on weaknesses = massive PRs. Here's how to find them.
- Innovative Training : Band Suspended Weight - Not Just for Bench - Justin Andrushko
And the bands begin to play.
- 29 Things to do with a Barbell in the Corner - Jason Kirby
This is absolutely superb.
- Specific Training for the Transverse Abdominis: Belt It In - Kat 'The Mighty Kat' Ricker
Time to tighten your built-in belt.
- Workout Music : Soothing Or Aggressive? - Scott Bird
How do you like your tunes?
- 10 of the best : Parkour television commercials - Scott Bird
Love watching Parkour? So do I.
- Taking Advantage Of Your Location : At Last - Some Real Outdoor Space - Scott Bird
Ready for some serious outdoor training?
- The Investments (part II, III, IV, V and VI) - 'Unbreakable' Adam Glass Several tools which form the basis of a great training plan.
- From Running to Kettlebell Swings - Jordan Vezina
Why run when you can swing?
- Back To The Future : The Power Of Bodyweight Exercise - Adam Steer
The training tool you always have with you.
- Outdoor Fitness: Log Flippin' - Daniel Lapic
This is seriously fun.
- What are Bumper Plates? - Mike Beatty
What? How? Why?
- Blast from the Past : Squat Variations - Scott Bird
There are many ways to get your squat on.
Time to get the sweat flowing.
- Why Conditioning is King - Dean Coulson
What conditioning is really all about.
- Evolution of Sandbag Training (Part II)
- Conditioning Without Trying : Walking 10,000 Steps Per Day - Scott Bird
Time to go for a walk.
- Suspension Training 101 - Derek 'Body By D-Rock' Peruo
What can you do with a TRX? Over to Derek.
- The Heavy Bag (Gimp) - Kira Robert Clarke (Fight Geek)
Thinking about getting a heavy bag? Make sure you read this first.
Ever get that 'just run over by a truck' feeling?
- Biphasic Sleep : 30 Day Summary - Scott Bird
I switched to Biphasic Sleeping in September 2006, and have never looked back. Love it.
- Recovery and Regeneration for the Strength Athlete - Patrick Ward
Tips for better recovery.
- Using Pulse Rate to Determine Rest Break Length - Scott Bird
Use the pulse, Luke.
- Fix Your Body with a Foam Roller: The Basics - Derek 'Body By D-Rock' Peruo
What exactly do you do with a foam roller? This.
- Strains and Sprains - Scott Bird
What's the difference between a strain and a sprain?
Diet & Nutrition
Eating well makes a massive difference to your overall training.
- Fuel and Rest - Scott Bird
There's a good reason I eat so much.
- 8 Glasses of Water Per Day? - Scott Bird
Where did the current guideline of '8 cups per day' come from?
- The Truth About Honey - Sam Cox
Honey has a lot more going for it than you might think.
- Transitioning to a Paleo Diet - Methuselah (Pay Now, Live Later)
Ready to try Paleo? Great. Here's how to begin.
There's always a new way of looking at it.
- Visualization : The Vision Wall - Girlwithnoname
This is a very creative idea.
- Give it Away : Donating Disused Training Equipment to Charity (part II) - Scott Bird
What happens to it when you update your home gym?
- Checklists and Complex Problems - Adam Stoffa
How do you tackle complex problems like athletic performance? Like this.
- Starting Your Fitness Journey : 10 Things To Consider - Scott Bird
Where do you start? Right here.
- Ready for a Virtual Meet? - Kat 'The Mighty Kat' Ricker
This is a brilliant idea. Cheers, Kris.
- Training Partners - Kira Robert Clarke (Fight Geek)
Sometime it's great to train with someone like-minded.
- Get Mental! The Psychology of Strength - Josh Hewett
The thinking side is half the challenge.
- Small Victories - Josh Hanagarne
Improve what you can improve, every day.
- Give Your Workout a Name! - Kira Robert Clarke (Fight Geek)
This helps more than you'd believe.
- Working out in the Heat - Scott Bird
It's getting hot in here.
Yes, we love talking about strength-training. Welcome.