- Articles : Jedd Johnson – a goldmine of information on all things grip – compiled his superb Straight to the Grip Contest series in a handy PDF (print it out and give a copy to your friends), Bucknell University’s Jerry Shreck discussed the prevention of ankle injuries and I took a look at the current state of affairs regarding mainstream media coverage of strength sports.
- Videos : Zach Ruffo demonstrated some of the basic speedbag techniques, bodybuilder Mario Strong performed one of my favourite strength feats – blowing up a hot water bottle and Priscilla Ribic showed us what sumo deadlifting’s all about with an incredible WR pull of 556lb at only 148lb. Not bad at all.
- Sites : Enjoy the fun of climbing and bouldering in Finland with Slouppi, calculate the length of your run with RunningMap.com and find out what to do about that nagging shoulder pain at the Shoulder Doc.
- Food : Chef Lisa McGovern begins cooking the power foods, Mark Sisson points to 44 finger-lickin’ recipes and I discuss the things to look for when buying fish.
- Bonus : If you missed the EliteFTS Boston seminar, take a look at these – several clips of the guys discussing many things to do with strength training, and a few that don’t.
To get you started, here’s Matt Kroczaleski discussing change in your routine (in this case, heavy DB rows). For more clips, swing by the EliteFTS page on YouTube. There’s some great stuff there.
Over to you. Drop us a line on Twitter ( @scottbird ), or add a comment below.
NB : if you love talking about strength-training as much as I do, you might also like to check out the weekly newsletter (there's also a daily version available). A regular dose of fitness-focussed discussions, absolutely free.
Straight to the Bar is the online home of fitness enthusiast Scott Bird, and looks at the many training approaches, essential techniques, uncommon exercises and superb equipment to help you become as strong as humanly possible. In short, this site is the home of all things strength.
images of strength
Want to see (and learn) more Feats of Strength like this? Dive in.
- DIY: How to Build an Olympic Weightlifting Platform
Kat ‘The Mighty Kat‘ Ricker
- Building A Neck Of Steel
Mike ‘The Machine‘ Bruce
- Straight to the Grip Contest
Jedd ‘Napalm‘ Johnson
- A Little Yoke Work : 10 Exercises for a Bigger Neck
Scott Andrew Bird
- 29 Things to do with a Barbell in the Corner
- Get Mental! The Psychology of Strength
- Small Victories
If you enjoyed these, check out the complete ‘Best Of Straight to the Bar‘ list. Fantastic.