- FDA And Exoskeletons : Remember the ReWalk? Incredible device which functions as an exoskeleton for the legs, making it possible for paraplegics to walk. Fantastic thing.
It’s just been given the OK by the US FDA, and will be on sale shortly. Which raises an interesting question : as these devices are constantly becoming lighter, cheaper and easier to produce; at some point they’re going to be purchased by those who would like the assistive benefits, as well as those who can’t walk without them. How should they – and could they – be regulated then?
- Oxytocin & Muscle Regeneration : Most of the research surrounding the hormone Oxytocin has centred around its effects on the brain. However, it may be key to something much more profound – muscular regeneration.
- More Cyclists, Fewer Collisions : An unexpected – yet certainly positive – aspect of encouraging more people to ride bikes. Fewer collisions.
- The Withings Activité, a new Adidas miCoach Fit and Continuous Heartrate Monitoring : We see an almost constant stream of fitness-tracking devices these days. Of particular note, the recent trend towards continuous heartrate monitoring. Great to see.
- Gymchat 250 – Serious Training for Ignored Populations : This was a fantastic discussion, covering a number of areas that are seldom given much thought. Josh Hewett chats with the incredible Bill Kociaba.
We also talked about Prosthetic Fairings, The Alvio – a Breath-Based Game Controller for Kids With Asthma and a whole lot more. Keep up with the World of Health & Fitness in the Straight to the Bar Community on Google+.